Sunday 24 June 2012

Drafting for a 31st Team

During the draft I thought it would be fun to see how I would do if I were the GM for a fictional 31st team. And of course, those of you who know me and my giant ego, I just assume this team would have beat LA for the cup giving me the last pick in each round.

I wanted to live tweet this but was so busy trying to keep up with the pace and different media that I just jotted down names and promised myself I would write the blog on the plane. Instead I've at least started it while watching the Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates have at it at the gorgeous PNC park and am now posting it as I arrive back home.

Round 1
Pick 31 - Oscar Dansk (Actrual draft position - 31 - Columbus) - I chose Dansk because I felt he was the best goalie in the draft and at this pick it is tough to pass over someone you consider to be the best player at their position. Even as a "cup winning" team, it's nice to have the best goaltender from a year in my system moving forward.

Round 2
Pick 62 - Adam Pelech (Actual draft poistion - 65 - NY Islanders) - I considered taking him or Dalton Thrower at the end of the first round but couldn't pass on Dansk.  When Thrower went and Pelech was still around, it was an easy pick. He's big, plays a versatile style, can be mean and is the kind of player a team could mould into whatever they need long term.

Round 3
Pick 92 - Andreas Athanasiou (Actual draft position - 110 - Detroit) - I feel good drafting someone that the Red Wings ended up taking, makes me feel like I somewhat know my stuff. But then again, his inconsistency throughout the year did give me pause. However, his skill level and ability to play that game at high speeds is something that with some minor development and addition of strength/power makes him a great addition right here. A little risk, but good chance of reward.

Round 4
Pick 122 - Valeri Vasiliev  (Actual draft position - 201 - Philadelphia) - Hard hitting physical defender with good technical ability, his bruising style will have opponents scared for their lives in a few years. He is hard to play against and has a warrior's mentality. I was hoping to hold off longer but with thoughts about taking him the 3rd, he's a must have for me, so I'm nabbing him now.

Round 5
Pick 152 - Gianluca Curcuruto (Actual draft position - 182 - Columbus) - I loved this guy the first few times I saw him. He has a good head for the game and shows good technical skill with some promising offensive potential. I'm surprised he's still around and while I'm happy with my drafted D to this point, I'm intrigued with what I can turn this guy into. I have a good feeling he's going to get a lot better and he's worth a 5th in my mind right now.

Round 6
Pick 182 - Peter Quenneville (Actual draft position - undrafted) - More than shocked that a kid who won his league MVP, committed to a good University program and who is as mature as this kid is still available at this point.  Quenneville has loads of development left and with his shot and and outside scoring presence he is worth the wait.  I'd look to improve his skating and defensive game but overall he's a project that has a lot of potential to turn out to be a massive steal here.

Round 7
Pick 212 - Anton Slepyshev (Actual draft position - undrafted) - I always think the cup champ should just give this pick away to the host team. It's a nice champion-like gesture. However, might get me fake fired from my fake team so I had to make a fake pick. Apart from Quenneville I was most shocked that Slepyshev and Max Iafrate were not selected.  Having done well with defenders so far in the draft and Ebert going right before, Slepyshev makes sense.  He was hot and cold all year but projects as a good depth forward that is worth the risk of a 7th round selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment